Monday, August 07, 2006

Ann Bogle! Ann Bogle!












At http://fuckinglies.blogspot.com by Kevin Thurston. (The first time I saw it, I thought the name of this weblog was related to an adverb "fuckingly" or to the plural of a type of person who is "fuckingly," but it isn't. It's really Fucking Lies or Polite Happiness.)

From the July archives:

Friday, July 28, 2006

wow! ann bogle

the first poem submitted to me by a blog reader

SCRABLE ON BOGLE
by Han Scrable

her tobacconist is Palestinian
and her barber is Israeli
[i think it was her barber]
and that is how she does
her part to keep peace.

in the morning i switch on
my computer it is a nice CPU
and i click on several "blogs"
whereat i shall meet amusement
always at the hands of Ann B.

she is self-effacing and modest
never the center of the universe
[ok, maybe she slipped a bit
when she told the world via "blog"
that she was really really smart

and ranked very high in her class
at some MFA program; and when
she was kinda presumptuous
when she said she helps maintain
world peace by having her hair cut

and coiffed by an Israeli, her cigs
purchased from a Palestinian, as if
such small gestures should earn her
a Nobel Peace Prize, which Condi
is going to win anyway.] Maybe Ann

knows Condi and will tell us all about it
in another Listserv message or at a "blog"
run by someone like Thurston, who is
much less smart and connected and
ranked much lower in his class than Ann

did. but i like Kevin anyway even though
i've never met him. but i know he has
good taste for he posts Ann Bogle messages
at his "blog." that is enough for me to want
to fly to Buffalo and meet him over wings.

Ann has the best recipe for Buffalo Wings
or so I heard through a grapevine full and
lush. i was at a poet party in the dark
out back smoking pot and Ann Bogle was
the subject of discussion. Ann oh Ann

you are everywhere all at once we love you
and you are ranked high in this world. maybe
Google Ads will reap you a major windfall
and you'll take us to the Tavern on the Green
for a really big dinner & we'll toast you a lot.

posted by kevin.thurston at 2:18 PM 1 comments


Subj: Re: Poem about ann bogle
Date: 8/7/06 8:24:41 PM Central Daylight Time
From: b@.com
To: AnnBogle1@.com

In a message dated 8/7/06 6:57:26 PM Central Daylight Time, b@.com writes:

Wow indeed. Maybe that's what Bob Dylan was trying to say when he said: (Here he's riffing on a shop sign. You can see this in Scorsese's No Direction Home, which they show on PBS. I was thinking that as far as extemporaneous prosody on cigarette shops that this was the gold standard.)

I want a dog that’s going to collect and clean my bath
return my cigarette and give tobacco to my animals
and give my birds a commission.

I want, I’m lookin’ for somebody to sell my dog
collect my clip, buy my animal and straighten out my bird.

I’m lookin for a place that can bathe my bird
buy my dog, collect my clip, sell me cigarettes and commission my bath.

I’m lookin for a place that’s gonna sell my dog, burn my bird and sell me for a cigarette
bird my buy collect my will and bathe my commission

I’m lookin for a place that’s gonna animal my soul,
knit my return, bathe my foot and collect my dog,
commission me, sell my animal to the bird to clip
and buy my bath and return me back to the cigarettes.


-b

No comments: